QuickBooks Abort Error
QuickBooks is indeed an excellent software that helps in solving all the accounting needs of a business. From tracking your daily expenses to generating various tax reports, QuickBooks has it all. With QuickBooks by their side, an individual or the accounts team of an enterprise can fulfill the tax filing requirements easily. With some impressive features and easy to use interface, it is one of the best accounting tools for small and medium-sized businesses. At times, it does run into some issues and errors. However, none of them are ones that cannot be fixed or solved. One of the errors that you might come across while working on QuickBooks is the – QuickBooks Abort Error. We don’t want your work to be hindered by errors thus we have for you here a quick guide on what the Abort Error is and how you can fix it, and resume your daily work on QuickBooks.
The QuickBooks Abort Error sporadically interrupts the workflow on the software. It causes the system to crash unexpectedly when you are trying to make changes to a file or probably trying to save it after having made the changes. One of the main reasons for this error is when the QBWUSER.ini file gets damaged, it causes the abort error.
As the abort error pops up, QuickBooks will shut down automatically and your system will also become slow. Other running applications are also likely to slow down or not function properly.
What causes QuickBooks Abort Error?
The QuickBooks Abort Error can be caused for various reasons. Here is a list of them.
- The most important cause of the abort error is when the QBWUSER.ini file is damaged. Corrupted hardware or damaged Windows could also be the cause for your QuickBooks to be flashing the abort error.
- If you are using QuickBooks which is originally installed on a different computer or a portable drive and the connection with it is lost or disrupted then it is likely that you get the abort error.
- You can also get the abort error if there is more than one system configured on a single network that is using QuickBooks.
- Several anti-viruses and even the system’s firewall can interfere with the smooth functioning of QuickBooks. They force the software to abort the processes which prompts the abort error.
- If you are using a system set up where files are saved and stored on two different devices, then it could disrupt the flow of data between the devices that store the files, thereby causing an abort error.
- If you have a multi-user installation setup and the computers are using different versions of QuickBooks then abort error is likely to occur.
- Sleep Mode or Hibernation Mode has been activated on the system containing the main QuickBooks file.
Look Out for Signs that May Eventually Cause QuickBooks Abort Error
Keep an eye for some signs that reveal to you about the abort error that you are likely to face in QuickBooks.
- QuickBooks will close or shut down often.
- Your system keeps crashing without any warnings or error messages.
- Your system repeatedly displays the ‘FataAppExit’ message box and terminates QuickBooks as you close the message box.
How to Resolve QuickBooks Abort Error
We have five solutions listed below for you which you may use to address the QuickBooks Abort Error. For most their issue will probably be resolved in the first solution but if the error persists they may go ahead with the other solutions mentioned.
Solution 1 – Use the QuickBooks Diagnostic Tool
The QuickBooks Diagnostic Tool analyses, identify and repair all types of issues on the QuickBooks desktop. It also reveals to you issues related to your OS if any. Here is what you need to do:
- Close all apps that are running on your system
- From the link mentioned above save the setup file
- Once downloaded you will see ‘QBInstall_tool_v2.exe’ on the screen
- Run the file on your system by double-clicking on it
- The diagnostic tool will detect and fix all issues and errors of QuickBooks
- For the changes to take place, you must restart your computer
Now launch your QuickBooks app, the issue will probably have been disappeared.
You should have a good internet connection when you are downloading the QuickBooks Diagnostic Tool. Slow or poor internet connection will not let the download complete. You also won’t be able to run the diagnosis without a stable internet connection.
Solution 2 – Rename ‘QBWUSER.ini’ file
The renaming has to be done manually and it can delete the previous list of all opened files.
- Find and open the folder holding the ‘QBWUSER.ini’ file
- Users that are unable to locate it have probably stored it in a folder that is hidden. Enable all hidden folders/files and then proceed to find the file.
- Navigate to Location:\[user name]\AppData\Intuit\quickbooks [year]\
- Right-click on ‘QBWUSER.ini.’
- Click on the ‘Rename’ option
- Add a new word to the end of the ‘QBWUSER.ini.’ for instance, .old which would rename the file to ‘QBWUSER.ini.old’
- Rename the ‘.ecml ‘ file to ‘EntitlementDataStore.ecml’
Once you have renamed both the files, try opening a sample company file. If the file isn’t opening then copy and paste the file into a different local folder and then open it. The abort error would have probably been fixed.
Solution 3: Disable Windows Firewall and Antivirus Software Running on Your System
Windows Firewall and antivirus software are created to block all types of security threats so, involuntarily; they at times block some programs from being executed/running on your system. This can cause QuickBooks Abort Error. Thus, disabling the Windows Firewall and/or Antivirus software on your system will permit updates and other information that is shared by QuickBooks automatically. Once the changes are made, make sure that you restart/reboot your, local system must so the changes made are saved.
Some may be unable to uninstall or disable the Firewall and the Antivirus, this is probably because you may not have administrator rights or the antivirus software that you are using has some kind of restrictions. Log in with the administrator account and then make the changes. If it is an issue with the software, then contact the antivirus customer care to get help from them to uninstall the software or how you could run QuickBooks run smoothly on your system whilst also having the antivirus.
Solution 4: Try Restoring QuickBooks from Backup
If none of the above steps seem to work for you, then you can try restoring QuickBooks from backup. Login to your system as an administrator and then restore QuickBooks from the backup saved in your system. The issues and errors are usually taken care of with this step and you no longer get the abort error messages.
How Contacting QuickBooks Experts Can Resolve Abort Error?
If none of the above steps work for you, then you can always call us. QuickBooks has employed experienced and knowledgeable staff that is apt in solving all sorts of issues faced by customers while using QuickBooks.
- You can call us on our toll-free number +1888-300-6790.
- You can write to us from our query form.
- You can send us a message through our website and we will call you back.
We have an in-depth knowledge of QuickBooks and how it functions. You can rely on our knowledge to receive the best and quick solution. The executives will guide you step-by-step and help you in fixing the abort error in QuickBooks.
Important Facts about Abort Error
When you are following the above solutions and making changes to fix the QuickBooks abort error, then make sure you use the administrator account.
These solutions usually fix the abort error of QuickBooks however, if you still find the error message to be flashing, you can always give us a call. Our technical support will offer you the required help.