Whilst using QuickBooks certain errors might incur, which may interfere with the existential functioning of the application. One such error is QuickBooks error 9998. In Error 9998, QuickBooks displays the message “QuickBooks has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience”.
QuickBooks Error 9998 – QuickBooks Encountered a problem & needs to close
The runtime Error 9998 is caused when the QuickBooks fails to work or crashes while it is still running. The cause of the crash does not necessarily mean that the entered code was corrupt in any way. It may simply happen because of its inability to work and respond at run-time. The error notification is displayed as a dialog box notification on the screen, which continues to appear until the problem is resolved.
QuickBooks is a software developed by Intuit with the aim of helping the business enterprises to allow them to practice customization with respect to the demands and the requirements of the company through the software. It is mainly used for accounting and bookkeeping purposes.
Symptoms of QuickBooks Error 9998
The occurrence of error does not give any kind of prior warning. Whenever a problem occurs in the run command, the error message box is displayed. Also, the error message may continue to display if not addressed timely and properly.
One might notice a situation where the files might be getting deleted, or new files might be appearing instantaneously. The main cause for this type of error to occur is due to virus infection; however, it might also be caused due to runtime error as virus infection is largely caused due to runtime error. Another default that the user might notice during this error is the fluctuation or a sudden drop in the speed of an internet connection. However, this does not necessarily take place in any situation.
Causes of QuickBooks Error 9998
At the time of analyzing, the software programmers do check and look out for any error that might occur in the future and make pre-arrangements to ensure that errors don’t occur. However, no program or software is perfect enough, and errors can be incurred in one of the best designs’ software applications as well. There are chances for the glitches to take place at the runtime in case certain errors are not addressed or experienced at the time of testing and design.
The main cause for the runtime errors to occur is due to running multiple programs together which are not even compatible with each other. The other causal factors for the occurrence of these problems are a bad graphics driver, memory problem, or a virus infection. Irrespective of the reasons for the errors to take place it is necessary that these errors are resolved immediately to prevent further problems from taking place.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error 9998
Following are some ways which can help in Repairing QuickBooks Error 9998
Solution 1: Close Conflicting Programs to fix error 9998
As it is known that in most of the cases these runtime error occurs due to the functioning of multiple programs at the same time which are conflicting in nature. Therefore, the first step which needs to be taken for solving this runtime error problem is to stop these conflicting programs. the steps are as follows:
- First, open the task manager bar by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del simultaneously that is together at the same time. This will give you the list of the different programs which are currently running.
- Move to Processes Tab and end all the running programs one by one by highlighting every program and then selecting the End Process button.
- It is essential to keep a check on whether an error message is appearing or not every time a program is being closed.
- After the user has identified the program, which is causing the error to occur, he/she proceeds to the next step, which is the troubleshooting step, and then reinstall the application.
Solution 2: Update/Reinstall the Conflicting Programs to get rid of QuickBooks error 9998
Using Control Panel
- For the systems having Windows 7, click on the start button, select the control panel option, and then uninstall the program.
- For the systems having Windows 8, click on the start button begin to scroll down and select the More Settings option, then select the control panel option and then select Uninstall the program option.
- For the systems having Windows 10, within the search box type Control Panel and select the control panel option. From there select the Uninstall the program option.
- Once the user has got access to the Program and Features, select the problem program option, and then select either uninstall or update option.
- If the user selects the Update option, then he/she is required to follow the prompt. If the user selects the Uninstall option, then he/she is required to follow the uninstall prompt and then re-download.
Using other methods
- For the system having Windows 7, click on start, and a whole list of all the programs installed within the system appears. One can place and scroll their mouse pointer over this list. The list comprises of an option or a utility for uninstalling a specific program from the system. One can make use of these utilities to download the application one wants to from the system.
- For the system having Windows 10, one can click on Start, select Settings option, and then select the Apps option.
- A list of applications installed within the system, along with its specific features appears.
- From the list, select the program causing the runtime error and then uninstall or reset the application with Advanced option.
Learn how to fix a similar error code – QuickBooks error 9997 easily!
Solution 3: Re-install Runtime Libraries to resolve the error 9998
The reason for the occurrence of QuickBooks error 9998 may be due to an update of like MS Visual C++ package which might not have been installed properly or completely in the system. In such cases, it is advised to delete the existing copy and re-install a fresh copy.
- Go to the Programs and Features list. Highlight the Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable package.
- At the top of the list, select the Uninstall option. Once the application has been successfully installed, reboot your computer.
- Search for the latest redistributable package and download it from Microsoft and then install that application on the system.
Solution 4: Update your Virus protection program or download and install the latest Windows update
It is highly possible that the occurrence of runtime error may be caused due to virus infection. It is very important to immediately eliminate, quarantine, or delete such errors from the system. For this, it is mandatory to ensure that the system is equipped with the latest virus program which runs a thorough scan to check for any virus on the computer. One can also run a Windows update and look out for the latest virus fix remedies.
Solution 5: Reinstall the Graphics Driver to eliminate error 9998
If the incurring error is due to a bad graphics driver, then the user is recommended to carry out the following steps:
- Open the Device Manager on the system and find the graphics driver of the system.
- Once you find it, right-click on the video card driver, and select the uninstall option.
- Once you are through with the above process, restart your computer system.
Solution 6: Run Disk Cleanup to remove QuickBooks error 9998
There are chances for the runtime errors to take place in a system that has low space in their computer systems.
- One can create a backup of the files on the system and then delete those files from the system. This would help in freeing up space on the hard drive.
- One can clear the cache and reboot the computer.
- One can start the Disk Cleanup process on the system. Open the window explorer on the system and then right-click on the main directory. (usually C:)
- Select the properties option and then click on the Disk Cleanup option.
Solution 7: IE Related Run-time Error
In case the error occurring on the computer is concerning Internet Explorer, the user needs to follow the steps mentioned below:
Reset the browser
- For the systems having Windows 7, click on the start option then select the Control Panel option. Select the Internet option present on the left side of the screen. Click on the advanced tab and then select the Reset option.
- For the system shaving Windows 9 and Windows 10, go to the search option and type the Internet. Go to the Advanced tab option and select the Reset option.
Disable script debugging and error notifications
- Open the Internet Options window on the system. Go to the advanced tab option on the window and look out for the option for Disabling Script debugging.
- Place the checkmark on the radio button.
- While you check-marking the radio button, at the same time uncheck the “Display a notification about every QuickBooks script error” item. Select the Apply option and click on OK. After doing all the steps, reboot the computer system.
Contact QuickBooks Experts to Repair QuickBooks Error 9998
These are some of the methods which can be used to repair QuickBooks Error 9998. If any of the solutions does not help in solving the problem, then one can always simply create a backup of the files on the system and then run repair reinstall over the system. However, this must be done only in cases when any of the aforementioned solutions fail to do their work.